Corona Virus (COVID-19) update:
Due to the Government regulations concerning the virus and the need to maintain minimal contact the Committee have halted the club events and weekly paddling. This will continue until the ban on public meetings and safety has been lifted. We would also like to remind you that peer paddles that do not follow the government guidelines on meeting numbers or distancing could also help spread the virus and since paddling alone can be a danger and your safety should be paramount please consider whether paddling is a necessity during this period.
We all love to paddle but the water will still be there when we all return to normality so please be considerate and follow the government guidelines below.
Stay at home
- Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)
- If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times
- Wash your hands as soon as you get home
Do you may now:
- spend time outdoors, including private gardens and other outdoor spaces, in groups of up to six people from different households, following social distancing guidelines (if you decide to meet to go on the water and paddle you need to consider whether you are competent, the area is safe from hazards and that you can remain 2 metres apart from those not living with you – be safe!)
But please be aware that you can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.
Many people have contacted the club to ask about membership but at this time we are not able to take on new members because normal club meets have been suspended! Please continue to check this site and keep abreast of new decisions in regards to joining and paddling as a club and hopefully we will be able to accommodate you in the future when the guidelines for Covid-19 change.
Stay safe and well!
Equipment Requirements and Hire
The club has a selection of kayaks and canoes that can be hired for a nominal fee and included in this are paddles, buoyancy aids, spraydecks and helmets (if required). We also have a selection of dry cags and waterproofs but do recommend that club members source their own kit once they have decided that paddling is for them. (For summer paddling, just a t-shirt and shorts is often sufficient!)
Costs and Membership Fees
|Boat/Buoyancy-Aid/Spraydeck hire – Adult:||£5:00|
|Boat/Buoyancy-Aid/Spraydeck hire – Child:||£3:00|
|Pool Fee (pool training evenings):||£10:00 p.p|
There is an additional charge of £2.50 for those wishing to join the club but who are not BCU members.
Paddlers – young and old:
Young paddlers – In addition to our weekly paddles, the club does run special sessions for youngsters – Paddlepower, which teaches basic paddling skills in a fun and friendly environment. All club coaches and committee members follow the DBS directive and we adhere to the BCU Child and Vulnerable Adult policy. We also have two junior reps on the committee and a Junior Officer who is responsible for all aspects of the junior members’ welfare.
Once the basic skills are mastered, unaccompanied children are welcome to join our weekly club paddles where they will be in the company of other keen youngsters. We do ask that contact details are left with the duty officer as children can sometimes get very cold and need to return from the paddle early.
Older paddlers – Our weekly paddle supports developing skills for those new to paddling as well as supporting an environment of sharing good practice across disciplines. The club includes members who have wide-ranging skills in open canoeing, freestyle and squirt boating, sea kayaking, touring and white water and the club acts as a hub for paddlers to find the right focus. We also organise introductions to white water trips, camping weekends and away day paddles as well as internal training and external courses.
Our aim is to have fun, be safe and share skills!
- Club Chairperson – Peter Narvidge
- Club Secretary – Sarah White
- Club Treasurer – Catherine Brighton
- Membership – Kyrstie J Hall
- Equipment Manager – Nick Kempson
- Events Co-ordinator – Jonathan Halden
- Junior Officer (Child Protection) – Louise Horsley
- Fund-raising Officer – Steve Timms
- Senior Rep – Fred Welham
- Junior Rep(s) – Taylor and James (in training – Josh)